Monday, August 31, 2009

Warranty

The first thing that comes to mind when I hear the word "warranty" is 'planned obsolescence'.  I was in an ABC Afterschool Special back in 1979, broadcast right after my birthday.  As a birthday present, my parents got me a large (for the era) color RCA television so I could watch my special on a decent television, not the thirteen inch black and white I'd had for over ten years.  It was a nice thing for them to do.

Two years later, the screen went blue - yes children, the blue screen of death predates computers.  I got the huge thing down the stairs of my third floor walk up and to a repair shop only to find out that the warranty had expired about two weeks earlier.  It would cost me $400 to fix the television.

I went out and bought a new one, Hitachi - thirteen inches, color, for $350.  I still have it, it still works great.

And that is why I will never buy RCA products again.

1 comment:

  1. I sympathise with you on warranties. Cute story.

    ReplyDelete